Thursday, December 11, 2008

A lesson in humility

"Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing. But a curse will come upon those who close their eyes to poverty." Proverbs 28:27 (NLT)

My heart had hardened towards all the "gimmes". You know what they are. Please donate to this charity; please take an angel from the tree; please send canned goods; give clothes for the school to hand out; donate for pets, the list continues to grow. Everyone needs something all the time. It is never ending.

As I sat around ignoring them until the next check, feeling a little above them, my life crumbled around me. With my husband losing his job, with his age and small disability (that he refuses to admit) I became worried that there was no hope. I knew we would lose our home and other things if he didn't get a job or help quick. Wow, that will really take you down a notch or two, know what I mean? It made me realize not everyone who needs help are lazy or just playing the system. Sometimes life happens and we are suppose to give to others.

"But if anyone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need and refuses to help - how can Gods love be in that person? 1 John 3:17 (NLT)

I wasn't showing God's love. I was being greedy and self righteous. So God took it away. He gave me plenty of warning signs that I ignored. He gave me plenty of opportunities that I passed. God knew he needed something drastic to turn my heart. He did break through the barrier.

"Dear children let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions." 1 John 3:18 (NLT)

After all, having a loving, giving heart feels so much better than an ice cold heart.

No comments: