Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Did you hear about her?

"Did you hear about Anna?"
"I don't mean to gossip but, "
"Can you believe she did that?"
"Well I heard Paul has been cheating on her for months and they are heading straight for a D-I-V-O-R-C-E!"
"But, I don't mean to gossip so let's not talk about it."

How many times have we ended a conversation like that? After we have already heard all the gossip? Gossip is everywhere. It's in schools, colleges, your work place, even in churches. When we get out of school we are so excited because we think all those years of lies, gossiping behind backs, and untruths are long gone. Then we get a job and realize that was just a dream. We hear them in the break room and they are flying through emails and telephones burning up the lines.

"What dainty morsels rumors are but they sink deep into one's heart." Proverbs 18:8 (NLT)

Gossip and rumors are hard to resist. People always want to be friends with the ones "in the know". But, we have to remember there are people associated with the rumors and hurtful words being spread about them. Someone will be hurt. We don't mean to hurt others, but we do. It always feels good to be the person everyone wants to talk to. Doesn't it feel good to walk in a room and everyone wants to run up and talk to you? Well, here is my chance to break the mold. I want to be the one everyone can't wait to run up to and share all the good things and praises about the Lord to. I want to be the one that everyone would love to share their week with. I want to spread God's word, not gossip and rumors.

"I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises. I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are discouraged take heart. Come let us tell of the Lord's greatness; let us exalt his name together. " Psalm 34:1-3 (NLT)

No comments: